Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Mounting Precision Vise

According to :
I got a hold of a one of those little precision vises that everybody is
selling these days. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be an easy way
to mount and align it to my mill table. Neither can I find any clamps
specifically for these vises in the usual catalogs (Enco, McMaster
etc.) I suppose I could make something easy enough, but that got me
wondering - as popular as these vises are, what is everybody else doing
to mount them? My particular vise has slots cut into the base on either
end, and a series of holes drilled crosswise down the base of each
side.

Well ... I made clamping plates for mine to match the Emco
C5 mill and the toolmaker's vise which I got to use as a milling vise.

Here is the URL to a page which I put up to document that when I
made it. The dates seem to be in September of 2000, FWIW.

http://www.d-and-d.com/EMCO/Vise-and-clamps/index.html

Note that mine does not have the series of holes, which might work with
the round-nose clamping straps supplied with mill hold-down kits.

Or the holes may be part of the draw-in mechanism for the
so-called "screwless" toolmaker's vises, in which case you would want to
confine your clamping to the grooves similar to what I used.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564