Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Why don't contractors / vendors care about making a sale?

..
wrote in message
ups.com...
: "I don't know if its because business is so good right now that
they
: don't need my money, or that they are over stretched and can
not accept
:
: any new clients, but I am completely amazed at how contractors
and
: vendors do not seem to care about making a sale. "
:
: They're kind of one and the same thing. Business is strong
right now
: with all the building and home remodeling going on. So just
about all
: of them have plenty of work. Of course that doesn't excuse the
way
: they do business. They should at least let you know they are
too busy
: to take your work, not leave you hanging.
:
: A friend of mine was trying to find painters to paint the whole
: exterior of his house in the boondocks north of Albany. Even
there he
: had the same problem. Call, leave mesg, no one gets back to
him.
:
: This will all change come the next recession.
:
Not likely unless gas/oil gets a lot cheaper. Most of the time
that means they can't get a decent return on their investment so
they don't want the jobs. It's human nature to take the easiest
ones first. Unfortunately.
Considering the lack of real "boondocks" north of Albany, I
suspect they just didn't want the jobs because they knew there
were others capable of it nearby.

I might sound pro-contractor, but I'm not, really. I'm neutral
as far as contractor's go. I use them if I have to and am
usually happy with their work, but if I can avoid one I do
because a lot of times I can't afford them. I find VERY FEW that
give away the store when they do an estimate, or especially an
RFP as one persin indicated.

Pop