Posted to sci.electronics.repair
russ lavergne

Default Repair method

All of the trans check ok, I think it was one of the chips but how to you
isolate a chip problem with out power?
"James Sweet" wrote in message
russ lavergne wrote:
I am working on a little board that is part of a big coin op redemption
piece. It has 5 IC's 12 TIP22 transistors a bunch of caps on the IC's.
another transistor and two other electrolytic. There are five of these
boards. All exact duplicates. So I thought that this would be a good
time for a Huntron. But no matter what I do I can't seem to isolate the
problem. It seems where ever the fault is it influences the whole board.
Is there a technique or tool I can use to figure out where the problem
is? I can't apply power because it needs the whole setup to run and it
is far away in a crowed busy place. Any helpful ideas out there for me.
Thanks
Russ

What's wrong with the boards? A DMM with a diode check function is
probably the best tool for the job, just test all the transistors, they're
the most likely fault in a machine like that which drives motors or lamps.