Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

Default Repair method

"russ lavergne" wrote in message
news:KfEBf.2092$AV.429@trnddc07...
I am working on a little board that is part of a big coin op redemption
piece. It has 5 IC's 12 TIP22 transistors a bunch of caps on the IC's.
another transistor and two other electrolytic. There are five of these
boards. All exact duplicates. So I thought that this would be a good time
for a Huntron. But no matter what I do I can't seem to isolate the
problem. It seems where ever the fault is it influences the whole board.
Is there a technique or tool I can use to figure out where the problem is?
I can't apply power because it needs the whole setup to run and it is far
away in a crowed busy place. Any helpful ideas out there for me.
Thanks
Russ

In this scenario, your best approach might be to get a known good board and
record (sketch) the Huntron waveforms on each of the ICs and transistors.
Then you can compare the waveforms on the bad boards to the good one and
come up with a likely bad component.

Another approach could be to try to reverse engineer the circuit and draw a
schematic. That would certainly help you to analyze the problems. The
circuit schematic would also allow you to design and build a test setup that
would simulate normal inputs and allow you to analyze the outputs.

What kind of ICs are on the boards? Download datasheets from the internet
to help you determine what's working and what isn't.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in