Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Crazy (and lucky) or Common?

Crazy (and lucky) or Common?

Made a 1/16th, minus a little, inch wide parting tool from a used seven
or eight inch long bayonet saw blade. Ground off the teeth and, with
japanese water stones, tapered the sides a hair or two, got the top face
and the slanted edge that tapers to form the nose nice and flat to
create a cutting edge on the end. Even tapered the sides a little and
polished the faces. Wrapped a folded up paper towel around the “handle”
end and tried it out.

“This works pretty nicely. I’m going to have to make a handle for this
thing - maybe tomorrow.”

Now I’ve used this tool a bit over the last several months, each time
thinking “ I’m going to have to make a handle for this thing - maybe
tomorrow.” Last nite I was making a simple cylindrical, cup - maybe
three inches round and four inches or so long out of a green cherry plum
branch.

Was going to get the hollowing started with a forstner bit but the
drawer they’re in was stuck. The drawer with the brad point bits still
worked so I used the biggest one I have, a half inch, to drill a hole in
the cup to the desired depth and reached for the 1/8th inch diamond
parting tool to hog out some wood.

I’m using a JET mini/midi and the head stock doesn’t turn for outboard
work. That means I cant drop the handle enough to make shearing cuts so
it’s a slow and laborious scraping task that isn’t much fun.

“Hmmmm - I wonder how my shop made narrow parting tool would work? (I
really should make a handle for this thing - maybe tomorrow)”

Worked great in quarter inch depth passes to the maximum depth of about
3 1/2”. That’s about as much overhang from the toolrest as I was
comfortable with, given the narrowness of the “tool” (I really should
make a handle for this thing - maybe tomorrow.)

Given that this thing is only 1/16th inch thick and a bit over 1/2”
wide, was I crazy (and just lucky) to use this tool this way or is this
a common use of a narrow parting tool?

charlie b