Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Default Ping George Cawthorne and Brooks Moses

George wrote:
Regarding the thread on slab stabilization, I just came up with a graphic
that illustrates how compression rings affect radial checks. Left the nub
of a piece of beech chucked up overnight on my lathe, only to find this when
I began cleaning this morning.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...ial-Checks.jpg

The chuck was still snug as could be, yet the wood found a way to shrink.
Popped a bit wider as I loosened the chuck.

Good Grief George! spell my name correctly!

This is so long ago, that I have almost forgotten,
but certainly you can get cracks even with a tight
metal band. My intent with suggesting a metal
band was that the band would keep the slab from
falling apart.

That piece looks like a mess, is it reaction wood?
Good demo! Damn, I wish you had a before picture.