Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default Ping George Cawthorne and Brooks Moses

George wrote:
Regarding the thread on slab stabilization, I just came up with a graphic
that illustrates how compression rings affect radial checks. Left the nub
of a piece of beech chucked up overnight on my lathe, only to find this when
I began cleaning this morning.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...ial-Checks.jpg

The chuck was still snug as could be, yet the wood found a way to shrink.
Popped a bit wider as I loosened the chuck.

Huh. Interesting. I'd claim that that was just evidence that the chuck
wasn't compressing the wood enough (theoretically, it needs to be beyond
snug, to the point where the wood is squished), but I suspect this is
one of the cases where I need to listen to my own claim that "when the
evidence contradicts your back-of-the-envelope theory, it probably means
your theory is missing something."

Maybe all the iron bands end up doing is just keeping the radial checks
small, and keeping the wood from falling apart when it does check.

- Brooks