BigWallop

Default Survey advice

"Dave" wrote in message
Sorry if this is not the right group.
We are in the process of buying our first house a 4 bed semi built 1950's

we
have been given the option of three different types of survey, Standard
valuation, Homebuyers report, Full structural survey and I'm not sure

which
type we would be best having as this is all very new to us, can anyone

offer
any advise please?

Hi Dave,

The best, but most expensive, is the full structure report, but this is best
left for properties that you really have your heart set on. So I'd say a
homebuyers report would suffice if your still just in the process of
looking.

The standard valuation is just a report of decorative condition and minor
faults that can be seen on the surface.

I think, but am not totally sure, the Home Buyers report is a bit more
in-depth than the valuation, and includes a more detailed survey of the
property itself and the area in which the property sits.

The Full Structural Report really speaks for itself and includes lifting of
the corners of carpets and a lot of tapping on walls and such like. A good
survey to have done, if the property is what you want to live in for a good
few years, as it will also provide for a report on the future life
expectancy of the structure.

All surveys will include a report of major works done to the property over
the years, but you can obtain an extract copy of the forms from the local
council planning department yourself, so any property you have looked at so
far can be looked at through this method.

Get a good lawyer who works for you, not the ones who desperately want your
business, and they'll do all the donkey work for you in these matters. Just
tell them what you want and they'll do it from there. You pay for it all in
the end any way, so why worry.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com