Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking
Earle Horton

Default Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Mike, you're in Canada. I once passed an accident scene, where failure to
use safety chains, led to a boat trailer coming loose from the tow vehicle,
jumping through an oncoming vehicle's windshield and killing the driver.
The driver of the tow vehicle got a faulty equipment citation, but was
allowed to hook up again and drive home! On the way back from wherever I
had been going, I saw him hooking up the trailer, with help from the state
patrol. Now the law in Colorado says, that safety chains are required, and
legally a manslaughter prosecution would not have been out of line here. It
didn't happen. Maybe the guy paid a fine, but I doubt it.

That is one of the things, that helped me decide to move to western
Colorado. The law is the same there, but the number density of jerks like
that is less, and you have more chances to avoid them.

I have one of those bumpers you are talking about. I use it for a bike
rack.

Earle

"Mike Romain" wrote in message
If you get pulled over by the highway patrol, you will/should get busted
for something as dumb as that. Not meaning to be a jerk or anything but
Wow...

The bumper isn't rated for towing or even jacking up under so
technically that is an illegal hitch, let alone an unsafe one.

The TJ bumper isn't even strong enough to tow a TJ out of a snowbank
without bending or tearing off, let alone pulling almost the 'legal'
limit that the TJ can handle which is 2000 lb. Your 1000 lb boat, plus
trailer, plus gear inside is easily the limit.

Sorry man, it just isn't a good idea.

Just FYI, even the expensive 2" receiver bumpers with the 2" hitch built
in have a warning on them that says they are 'not' legal for towing,
only legal for putting a bike rack or some other type of rack into.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Here is my design for a bumper-mounted Jeep Wrangler TJ trailer hitch:

http://www.truetex.com/jeep_trailer_hitch_bracket.htm