Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

Default Yet another Democrat, wants to remain ignorant

"Gus" wrote

If the establishment clause is so obvious, why is it that our friends
in the ACLU have convinced people that the establishment clause also
means that a grade school can't have a Christmas tree

_Public_ schools, funded by taxes, operated by government.
Private schools can have any kind of tree they want, and make their students
pray to it. And if government tries to stop _them_, the ACLU will take
_their_ side.

or that a town can't have the 10 Commandments on public property.

Again, town _government_ is forbidden to endorse religion.
"I am the Lord, thy God. You shall have no other gods before me," is
religion, just like "Allahu akhbar".

Let me put it to you the other way, Gus: suppose your mayor puts up a
plaque in City Hall that reads, in its entirety:

Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Nothing about keeping the sabbath holy, or taking anybody's name in vain. I
don't know what the ACLU would say about such a plaque -- it's not my turn
to watch them this week. But what would _you_ say about it?

-- TP