Tony

Default The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World!

The large Sulzers and MANs used compressed air to start the engine. Their
was enough compressed air to get a a couple of starts, then you might have
to wait to build pressure again. There was a guage on the bridge as I recall
that indicated the reserve pressure. The ship used DFM (diesel fuel marine)
when manuevering (starting/stopping) and heavy oil when out at sea. I don't
remember the grade of bunker fuel. Some diesels can run right off crude oil.

There is no reversing gear I think it was directly coupled to the prop. To
go in reverse you stop the engine and restart in the opposite direction.
This means the ship had to be moving slowly in order to stop the propeller
and reverse it.

I'm sure Dave Meridian is more up on the details than me.

--
Tony

Visit TonysToolroom for info on Precision Scraping.
***Now with Powerscraping***

Don't skive that belt before you visit my flatbelt page!

http://www.csgnet.net/toolroom/

Spammers Beware : Your entering the No-Spam zone
**** Protected by Mailwasher **** www.mailwasher.net
Caution:Bouncing Spam: Eye protection required!
"dann mann" wrote in message
Just how would they start that thing? Seems like it would have to be
heated for a few days then some explosive dropped into a couple opposing
cylinders to get a decent push off. And never shut it off again unless
you need to fix something that is moving too fast