Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Parquet Flooring and Flagstones, Problem!

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:18:57 +0000, andymason79 wrote:

Nigel Molesworth Wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:56:34 +0000, andymason79 wrote:

we intend on laying parquet flooring in a double herringbone pattern

What is this, bad taste week?

You have got ORIGINAL FLAGSTONES, and you are going to cover them up.
While you are at it, why not rip out the fireplaces and make all the
doors flush with hardboard. Some uPVC windows might be nice.

Clean the floor, buy rugs.

--
Nigel M

You say that, but don't know enough about what previous owners have
done to the rest of the property!

I have ripped out the fireplace, it was the most ugly (1960's) piece of
S**T you could ever come across. I really wanted a coal fire but the
original fire was gone, as was the chimmney all to make room for a
backboiler, so that feature was gone. As for the windows, we were
thinking about getting Upvc ones fitted because again the windows
currently here are nasty 1950's ones covered in a sea of white gloss.
The only original sash is on the landing and its suffered the same
fate.

Had the flagstones been in the kitchen it would have been great, I
wanted a farmhouse look, but someone about 20 years ago had beaten me
to screeding over them (I would not have in the kitchen). By the way
there are cracks in the screed there, so I guess concrete is best.

Anymore advice appreciated!

I feel for you.

If at all possible rip te stines up, wash off in brick acid, and sell or
use somewhere else.

If at all possible, rip up the complete floor underneath and do what Grunff
suggested - i.e. put a decent floor with insulation down underneath it.

Essentially about 4 " of concrete over a hardcore base, DPM, at least 2" of
polystyrene, and then 4 " of screed with UFH pipes laid in it.
THEN parquet it.

THAT is what I call a FLOOR.

Samshin up te original floor is the worst..after that its just pay money to
good screeders...the rest is DIY. Even te screeding is DIY if you take the
trouble to lay guides of wood, and can mix the screed correctly.