Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

Default Refinishing woodwork - easy way to prep wood?

Baron wrote:
Wow! Those are excellent suggestions - especially the one about making a
mold of the baseboard.

You can get a product meant exactly for this from places like
WoodWorkers Supply.

I've never heard of "liquid sandpaper" - is it

non-toxic and generally available (like at Home Depot)?

Liquid Sandpaper is a mixture of ethanol, acetone and toluene. Not
great to inhale but probably not much different than nail polish remover.
You should call around to your local Big Box, hardware, and paint stores. A
paint store may have an alternative product that accomplishes the same
thing.

I asked the folks at several stores (Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams,
Lowes, Scotty's) about what was necessary to paint over oil-based with
latex. I was told that all I needed to do was sand the old paint to
roughen up and degloss the surface, and that no primer was needed. So
far this approach has been very successful and the latex has adhered
very well (...Well enough that when I was moving furniture back and
accidently whacked the baseboard with a bookcase, the bookcase got
scuffed but the painted baseboard was undamaged).

In theory, only sanding / deglossing should be necessary. In practice,
applying the proper primer over sanded / deglossed oil paint will ensure
that there will be no problems in delamination down the line. I know that I
don't like to spend all that time painting only to realize that taking a
shortcut caused problems.

In theory, I agree that priming is best ...but I have over 300 feet of
baseboards to do, and 11 doors & door frames that I want to repaint.
With all that woodwork, I'm willing to take the easier road (thoroughly
sand and repaint) versus the optimal path (thoroughly sand, prime, very
lightly sand and smooth primer, repaint).

Jean