Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default how many use glue blocks

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:08:29 -0500, "Scratch Ankle"
wrote:

And I use regular Elmer's yellow glue. Having already taken a pretty good
hit in the nose, I'm a little leery of the idea of hot melt glue, paper
glued between the piece and the glue block, and double sided tape. I want a
solid joint there.

I can tell you from long experience that a good bond with yellow glue and
grocery bag paper isn't going to break loose on your lathe... I use a chisel and
mallet to separate the suckers..

Something that's worked well for me is to make my turning block longer than most
are.. by a few inches... that lets me turn the glued portion of the block along
with the bowl and maintain a good shape.form without worrying about hitting the
screws... also, using a steady rest or the tailstock with a friction chuck, you
can turn almost all of the bowl bottom round before you have to part off...

I used to make "multi-stage" glue blocks... a 3/4" plywood round with
countersunk holes so I could bolt it on with the nuts behind the faceplate, and
the "actual" glue block, which was glued between the plywood and the bowl
bottom... the block would be used up on each bowl but the plywood was (and still
is) reusable..
Mac