Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

Default how to sticker

Thanks, how much weight on top would be needed for a stack of say 6
slices?

I've been debating the cinder blocks. Probably the cheaper solution.

I'm going to inventory my odds and ends of cut offs this weekend.
Paxtons has some cheap stock for $1 a foot that I may use

I'm still debating putting the stack above the garage instead of in my
study in the basement. Its dry enough in colorado but I bet the
temperature above the garage varies from well below freezing to 90
degrees some days. My study is so cluttered with piles of wood I'm not
sure I have a place where I can lay everything down where it will not
get disturbed.

I've had one local woodworking club member offer to 'keep' the pink
ivory for me while it dries.

AAvK wrote:
Yes, it will matter if the stickers are dry, you do not want the
moiture from the stickers getting into you wood as it may cause
problems with staining, or worse rot.

As for sticker material I was able to get an abundant supply by milling
mine from the offcuts left for scrap from a flooring contractor i know.
Price, equaled time to load and time to rip but material cost was 0.00
MIne came from prefinished japaneese cherry and they have worked
beautifully drying the nine western bigleaf maples i had sawn. Two
plus years of air drying and not a stain to be seen. FYI, My stock was
green and I stickered every 18", I think every 6 might be overkill.
just my .02

Brad

Every 18" for wet 0.33" thick pink ivory? I would do at least 9" apart to avoid
warping, then cinder blocks on top somthey stay flat. Just my .01.