William G Darby

Default Before I replace my chuck..

Hi Doug

I had the same problem with a chuck on my old McDougal lathe and I followed
Brown and Sharps instructions to lap the jaws flat again and it made all the
difference in the world. I will post the link to the thread if I can locate
it.

Bill D

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

Myford ML7, small 3-jaw chuck. No matter how tight I crank down on
it, pushing sideways on the end of a 8" bar will cause the bar to
shift, and the end to run untrue. Merely loosening and retightening
it will lose centering, at least at the far end.

Repairable, or do I have to buy a new chuck?

It's not the spindle bearing, since I don't see the same problem with
a smaller bar in a collet.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are vermin. Please kill them.