Glenn Ashmore

Default The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World!

There was a show on TV a few months back about Hundai Heavy Industries
ship yard. They briefly showed a face mill machining a 16' crank boss.
It was cutting chips bigger than I could fit on my mill. :-)

Jim McGill wrote:
Wow, that's what I want for Xmas. Check out the built in ladders down
into the crank case wells.

As for starting, look at the second picture. That's a heck of a big
electric motor there next to that giant gear. It just looks small
compared to all the other pieces.

I guess what amazes me is how similar it is to a small diesel. For some
reason I'd expect things to change when they get that large, but
everything, even the head studs are just scaled up (and more detailed).
Must be some kind of lathe that turned those pistons. And the mill that
faced that crank case block (which looks to be a single casting - also
pretty scary) - YEOW!!!! That finishing cutter looks like it was 12" in
diameter at least.

Awesome.

Jim

--