Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default HLV-H, decent first lathe?

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:48:56 +0000, Bohutch
wrote:

Hi,
I have an older Hardinge HLV-H toolroom lathe and have been looking for
a taper attachment and ran across this post. Did you ever get the
drawings done for this taper attachment? If so I would love to beg,
borrow or steal them from you. I have a factory manual and there are a
couple of drawings but the dimensions would be great. Thanks.
Robert Hutchinson

Sigh..no..actually I havent. I took some rough measurements once from
one of the few HLV-H taper attachments Ive seen..but never went
anywhere with it. I really really need to go back to that shop and
lay out the parts and take accurate measurements, some foot print
tracings and so forth. I just set my drafting table back up this past
weekend..so perhaps if I get some time in the next couple weeks..Ill
go visit the company again.

btw....Hardinge just discontinued the HLV-H. I dont know why..but
suspect that the Chinese clones at $8-12k ate into their sales badly

Gunner

Gunner Wrote:
On 30 Aug 2004 19:38:11 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:
-
In article pMQYc.3473$bD5.3005@trnddc03, rick says...-

Is a Hardinge HLV-H lathe a special purpose lathe, or is it a good
candidate for
general home shop tasks?-

It is a good candidate.-

Nice understatement.-
-
For one thing, it doesn't look like the tailstock has any adjustment
for taper
turning...-

When you order the machine, purchase the taper attachment for it
at the same time. This solves the problem nicely.

:^)

Jim-

Chuckle..indeed. Ive got access to a Hardinge taper attachment and am
in the process of blue printing it, so I can make one. They are not
commonly found without the machine. While they are absurdly simple in
construction, they are a bit critical in some dimensions. When I
finish, Ill post the drawings in the drop box, as the same taper
attachment works on the HLV-H as well as the TFB.

Which reminds me..Im thinking about selling my TFB. Needs paint.
Ive finally run into the situation where I have too many precision
lathes up and running well. Shrug.

At this point..only Thinking about it..

As for ordering an HLV-H..I think they are around $40,000 new at the
moment. A good used one is around $5-11,000, depending on tooling etc.

Gunner

Gunner

"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender.
Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist."
FF, (alt.machines.cnc)

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin