Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke

Default Yet another Democrat, wants to remain ignorant

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , John R.

Carroll
says...

Not in my opinion. There are skunks in both parties on this issue and

they
are being handed the tools they need - today - to achieve their aims at a
later date. Any situation that requires a benevolent ruler needs avoiding
like the plague. We'll have a less benevolent one at some point and it'll

be
too late then. Think about what would happen in the aftermath of the next
terrorist attack if Bush and Co started beating the drum for the

surrender
of certain types of weapons to prevent future attacks. His stated

position
is presently one which would allow him to compel such an action using his
war powers as commander in chief. The President of the United States

clearly
stated that he feels he has the authority to override, without
supervision/oversight or consent, the other branches of government in

the
40 plus page justification for domestic intelligence gathering just
released.

Yep, it's all under the war powers of the president, John. He's the
(what's the phrase) sole arm of american power dealing with terrorists
which means at this point he can do whatever he damn well pleases
and the constitution can simply be ignored. It IS being ignored at
the moment!

Practically nobody seems to care. Indeed you have so many
apologists for the present administration's actions it boggles my
mind. They don't realize if they can destroy the fourth amemdment
"because we need to, to fight tangos" then they can just as easily
shut down any other one simply because "we feel like it today and
it makes the cops' jobs easier and cheaper for us."

Wow. Separation of powers destroyed, the bill of rights destroyed,
the federal budget deficit out of control. Short of actually
toppling the statue of liberty I can't imagine what else those folks
could do to drive home their point: "we're in charge, your
liberty is now offically defunct. Too damn bad. Oh, and BTW your taxes
are going up too."

Gunner sees this as a partisan issue. I don't, I agree with you - any
political party that pushes this line is destroying our govenment in
the long run. It looks like that run's getting pretty short too.

Jim

This should give everyone a good insight into what it must have been like in
Germany in the 1930s. Everyone was jumping on the Nazi bandwagon and anyone
that didn't go along was labeled a traitor or unpatriotic. We're doing the
same thing today. We're throwing out all the rules that keep the government
under control all for the sake of being safe from the evil terrorists. The
Germans did the same thing. They gave one man unlimited power to do as he
pleased. They threw out all the constraints on his authority. We're in the
process of doing the same thing. The only question is whether we are going
to come to our senses and put the brakes on the unlimited presidency or are
we going to hand over the government to the executive branch? If we don't
stop it soon there is no question that there is going to be a very negative
outcome. How and what it will be is unknown but one thing is for sure;
nothing good is going to come from allowing so much power to be concentrated
in the hands of one man. It never does.

Hawke