Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default wiring exhaust fan

On 24 Jan 2006 09:54:20 -0800, wrote:

At present I have two lights in the bathroom. I would like to replace
one of the lights with an exhaust fan. One switch turns on both
lights, I would like to have a seperate switch for the exhaust fan. Do
I need to run wire from the exaust fan to the double switch and if so
how do I make the connection at the switch?

Thanx

Not sure if this fits your situation, but in my case, the wire from
the switch ran to the light above the sink, and from there to the fan.

So I didn't have to run another wire to turn the fan on and off, I
just mounted a switch to the light fixture, I used a switch that
mounted in a round hole, and only required pushing it to turn it on
and off (since it is a little hard to reach). There was even a
knock-out in the light fixture to put the switch. Then I put a
second identical switch next to the first, to turn off the light over
the sinkr if I want to run the fan while I'm not in the room.

In the case of my mother, where this all wasn't possible, I used pull
chain switches, with a string, and I mounted them to the almuminum
grill in each bathroom. She hadn't complained even, but I knew that
fan, which was on even when she is just brushing her teeth, must drive
her crazy. I had to be careful to find a spot on the grills where
the switch wasn't obstructed by the box the fan was in, but there were
places like that.

I didn't like messing with an aparment in a building she didn't own,
but after she died, I removed the extra grab bars, cleaned everything
else well, and the secretary sort of implied I didn't have to all
that. My mother had been there for 8 years and always paid her rent,
and with 100 apartments, they didn't mind doing some clean-up it
seemed. But I'm sure they left the swtiches.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.