Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

Default how many use glue blocks

"william kossack" wrote in message
news
I talked to a turner recently that always uses glue blocks when turning.

Thinking about it I'm going to give it a try but I wonder what wood to use
for the blocks and what glue to use?

Until I made a screw chuck, a glue block is about all I had used. I use
whatever wood(simple 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 works well) is handy and use a hot glue
gun. Get the larger style (not the tiny one) and get slow setting glue.
Allow the glue gun to warm up ten minutes or so. Otherwise the glue will set
too quick and the bowl or whatever will wobble. Stand to one side of the
blank as you switch the lathe on. If it looks like it is snugly fitting on
the glue block and not bouncing around , start turning.
Good Luck Lyndell