Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default how many use glue blocks

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a good tip I got a long time ago. Since no matter how you
wiggle, adjust, or threaten you piece if you want to rechuck it, it
will never line up or rebalance correctly. However, I started
numbering with a pencil the corresponding area of the glue block to
match the jaws of my chuck and this has helped a lot. It works too on
your piece if you are not using a glue block.

You using a smooth set of jaws? That's the reason I love my dovetails, in
or out; they _always_ line up properly. If you have 'em use the smooth jaws
and make your tenon or recess just a tad bit bigger than the first point of
circularity on the jaws. They snug and draw real nicely to the reference
face that way.

Last piece I turned from the beech was just a tad small, so I did a triple
shuffle, cutting outside on my pin jaws and making a 50mm tenon, reversing
to hollow, leaving the 25mm hole in the pillar, then reversing again to a
25mm recess, with the piece at its lightest. Pretty much had to, because I
had a couple radial checks that would have been curtains if I had tried to
hollow on the 25 alone.