jim rozen

Default OT - NY Times economy article

In article , Gary Coffman says...

http://www.marke****ch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B21B5AD0D%2DC132%2D435F%2D8EF3%2D EB0F2D5630D9%7D&siteid=mktw

Here's the key quote, "This puts the U.S. economy in uncharted territory.
We have never had a sustained recovery without job creation."

No, the *real* key quote there, hidden in another link in that
article (to a study) is, and here I'm paraphrasing,

'there are two kinds of layoffs. Temporary, where the workers
are re-hired by the same company. And Permanent, where they
are not, and go on to be hired, eventually, by other companies.
Permanent layoffs cause jobs to disappear for much longer times
because it takes longer for companies to hire new workers, than
to re-hire the old ones.'

Basically what the study is saying is, "when a lot of folks get
fired, unemployment results."

Casey Stengle, thanks so much!

Jim

please reply to: