Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Gary Brady

Default Ovens/Furnaces in the HSM/Woodworking Shop

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
I need to paint a model Hit-and-miss engine. I want to keep it
reasonably simple. Spraying with a spray can and baking in my kitchen
oven is reasonably simple. Not sure I can use a normal spray gun
even though I do have a couple of them. If it gets too complex, I
would opt to take it to a automotive paint shop and pay them to paint it.
chuck

I didn't make the original comment about baking paint, but I've have
very good luck with baking high temperature engine enamel. Apply it,
let it dry, then bake it for an hour at 350deg. I did this once or
twice in my kitchen oven without big problems. You might want to try a
small sample to find out if it smokes excessively. The result, though,
is a very hard surfaced paint that wears well, and is heat resistant to
boot. Comes in a spray can, no need for a gun.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX