Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Furnace turns off prematurely

That's not an uncommon problem, especially in housing developments.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
A hot surface ignitor should not be cleaned, you will crack it, then
you will need a new one. If it is spark ignited, well I never found a
need to clean those either. Sounds like low air flow caused by:
1) Restrictive air filter.
2) Restrictive or undersized duct system.
3) Registers turned of in parts of your house you are not using.
4) Blower speed set too low.

Other possibilities: Limit switch improperly set, heat anticipator on
thermostat improperly set.

Stretch

Here's a weird reason. I have a Goodman HE unit. It was behaving in an odd
way, too. Making its initial startup noises, then stopping without

actually
going to the preheat step. I'd just moved into the house, so I stood in

the
cellar listening to the noises so I could describe them to the heating guy
when I called. Standing right under the PVC vent pipe, I heard water
gurgling. Whoever installed the furnace did a lousy job of installing the
pipe hangers, so the vent was bowed downward almost an inch in the middle

of
its run to the outside, so water was collecting there. I propped it up,

the
water drained out, and the next time the heater started, it ran correctly.

still had my contractor come over to check the machine over. He said this
heater checks for proper venting before turning on the gas, and that there
must've been enough water in the pipe to cause a problem.