Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Matti Kaki

Default Repairing an old Grundig tube radio

In article . com, says...

Matti,
Why do you oppose cleaning the tube pins with sandpaper / emory cloth ?
Just curious as I've done that before as well as using a very small
round file to clean the pins of the tube socket.

Because these tools are scratching surfaces. Especially if you
have silver plated pins or socket these are gone if you use file
or sanding for removing oxidation. All the tiny scratches can
oxidate and the cleaning is harder and harder in the future.

The pencileraser (if you are able to find one) is very good when
cleaning all kind of connectors. There is one exception. If the
equipment has sensitive electronics this pen can produce some
high voltage which can destroy something. Never happened to me.

Other nice tool cor cleaning connectors is glass fiber pen. Its is
very sensitive method but you must be aware of tiny glass fiber
"threads" which easily cut off. They can penetrate your skin.

If you want use emery paper please use 1200 which is very very fine.
Or you can use "used" 600 paper. Cleaning the sockets is harder.
I use alcohol and tiny carved woodstick.

--
Matti Kaki at iki dot fi
http://www.sci.fi/~oh2bio