Posted to rec.woodworking
Evo

Default Rotozip for coping crown molding

B a r r y wrote:

I think coping miters is a waste of time. I miter all my corners and they
come out looking perfect.

Have you seen them a few years later, or just right after you're done?
Do you usually install painted MDF or stain-grade, solid wood stock?

So what your saying is coped cuts don't expand and contract with the change
of weather? I do both, mostly these days MDF painted white, that is the
style for now at this time. The only time I use a coped cut on crown is in
a bathroom with solid wood. The humidity changes are extreme. I live in
Southern California and the humidity changes are slight even while it's
raining. I said in my opening that I cut over and spring the crown in
place.

I can't believe how many homes and businesses I see with mitered inside
corners on crown moldings (base and chair, too) that are wide open in
the winter. Sometimes, you can even see where the installer tried to
glue the corner, and the broken dried glue is visible in the joint.

Barry

I don't use caulk or glue except when I do a splice on long pieces, no need
too. Sorry to disappoint you when it comes to copes but I just don't see
them as necessary anymore at least where I live. I have seen my miters
years later when folks have called me back to do other rooms and they look
as good as the day I put them up.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"