Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

Default BIG edge jointing problem

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:34:08 GMT, noonenparticular wrote:
I thought about this and it should work in theory. Here's the problem I ran
into in practice.
First, the fence would have to be over 3 1/2" high for the plywood to bear
against it. No problem, fasten a tall subfence to it, right? Well yes, but
now you have the problem of the mass of the timber pressing sideways against
the top of the subfence which is fastened to a short TS fence. The leverage
of all that mass will make the subfence flex away from the blade, I'm guess
substantially. Secondly, I only have a 10" blade for the table saw which
has a max depth of cut of 3 1/4" while the boards are a *strong* 3 1/2. So
the blade wouldn't even make a through cut, which would concern me from a
safety issue with all that mass against a comparatively flimsy fence.

jc

Well, a tall TS fence comes in handy for other things. You could make one that
is stiff enough for this job. Perhaps in this case its a bolt-on, rather than
something that just slips over the existing fence. And if you make the plywood
guide wide enough, there will be room at the front and rear of the fence to
get a clamp on there, to hold the tall fence in place really well.

As for the blade not making the full thickness, right, I didn't consider that.
But you could use your router with a flush trim bit to clean up the last bit.

--
Art