Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default BIG edge jointing problem

noonenparticular (in )
said:

snip
| - I did this to each of the two boards thinking that I would get a
| nice mating surface. What resulted was not bad, but not the
| tightness that I was expecting. Would like to get these tighter
| and some solutions (like adding clamp pressure to draw the boards
| together during glue up) simply won't work given the size of the
| boards.
|
| Any ideas?

For my first workbench I planed 4x4s and also used splines; and
drilled 1/4" holes through all boards except the first and last. The
first and last were drilled _almost_ through and I cut an slot from
the center botom to intersect the 1/4" blind hole. At assembly time I
used threaded rod, washers and nuts (and every clamp I could get my
hands on) to draw the whole thing together. For the first year, once
every month I used an open-ended wrench to tighten the nuts.

I was happy with the result. When I sold the house, the buyer agreed
to my price - but only on the condition that the bench stay with the
house. I guess he liked it, too.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar