Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Let's talk about dovetails

LDR (Larry)wrote:

Hey, Charlie, where were you when I needed you?

Where were you when I posted the link to my notes
every month or so since I did them a year or two ago?
They even show up in a Google search.

Not just Klausz's tape
but Cosman's as well, playing them over and over again. My wife thought
I had cracked up, and I'm not yet sure she's wrong--or maybe in another
life I was a Japanese student of Kabuki dance.

My version was more like Skoobie Do - Huuuuuuh!?

Anyway, what you did is a
truly great contribution, although you have to go up and down the curve
to appreciate it.

What you think you know is only verified when you try and
apply it. Mr. Klausz is a good teacher and even though he
goes through the steps three or more times in the tape
there's a lot of fine points that are important but easily
overlooked.

When I try something new that's a bit more complicated
than it first appears to be, I start making notes to myself.
Being basically a visual person, there's usueally a lot of
illustrations. When I'm done I understant things a lot
better and have the notes to fall back on if and when I
need them again. Since the notes are done on my computer
(a Mac), putting them up on the web where other poor
souls can find them doesn't take much additional work.

If you found the dovetail stuff useful you might want
to check out the mortise and tenon primer

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MTPrimer0.html

And if you have a table saw, the Kickback info may
give you a better undestanding of how and why it
tries to kill you with a flying projectile from stime
to time

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/KickBack1.html

Fun stuff this woodworking thing

charlie b