Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default OT Walmart and you

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Ignoramus1723" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:50:16 -0800, Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:
One big difference, like it or not. I earned my social security check.

paid into the fund for years, and I paid both halves (remember, I was

self
employed), unlike most people. I do not make, nor am I willing to

make,
an apology for recovering money that was taken from me for years without

my
consent. DO NOT BLAME ME for SS. I, too, was a victim.

Whether retired people (not just you, but also those to follow
soon) would be able to get as many goods and services for their social
security checks, is not so much a question of morality as it is a
question of reality. The issue is, is the society able to deliver as
much as it promised.

I agree, and in part, that's what I've been saying right along. We think
there's no bottom to the well----take all you can in taxes (what else would
you call Social Security contributions?) and promise the stars and the moon,
all with a nice fence around them. I got no stars, I got no moon, and I
got no fence. I have to pay for my own health care plan, and I get a check
slightly under $1,200 from Social Security. What I have is austere,
hardly something one could brag about. Society should have set
reasonable goals, not asked for everything, particularly when it was
unearned.

Society is totally unrestrained in what "it" asks for.
We are supposed to be selecting lawmakers with some commonsense. When we
relax our standards occasionally (OK, a lot) we get the inevitable result.