Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Vacuum rather than coolant?

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
news:tlrBf.1278$Yi5.1238@trndny02...
Building a system for a customer... They are working with a material that
is hazardous but not flammable. They are looking to provide suction at

the
tool rather than the typical coolant and want to do something a bit more
professional than a simple wet vac system. Anything you folks know of

like
this? We would provide either a pneumatic or electrical signal to cycle

the
suction.

I used to modify wire wrap connectors for a customer. The base material
looked for all the world as if it had asbestos fibers in its composition,
although I don't know that it did. This was long ago, in the '70's. One
of the operations was to fly cut both sides of the connectors after they'd
been sawed from a larger one. I modified a commercial vacuum fitting by
machining a radius in keeping with the spindle of the mill, so it would
partially surround the fly cutter at the point of cut. It was then mounted
in a quickly made plastic mounting that clamped on the quill of the mill.
By running a large shop vac without a filter (much better air movement),
placing it outside the shop, it picked up virtually all of the dust coming
off the cutter, dumping it outside. I still have the setup, although it
rarely gets used now. You could do something similar, maybe incorporating
a cyclonic separator.

Harold