Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default How Much is Your Gas Bill?

In message , Set Square
writes
NTL News wrote:

I don't quite understand. My notion of a pre-payment meter is one
into which you put coins and which then allows you to use some gas.
Such a meter would have to be emptied regularly. But you also
mention payments made on your *card*. What card is that - a credit
card? How does the system work. Haven't *you* got records of what
you've paid, even if BG haven't?

The pre-pay meter that we have is a Quantum meter - you get a chipped
card that you take to the post office and charge it up with however
much you want to put into your meter, you then slot it into the meter
and it allocates the credit. At the moment I'm sticking a tenner on
it every 3 days.

Ah, I see - things have moved on a bit since I was a kid!

Does the meter tell you how much credit you've got?

How much does 1 kw.Hr of energy cost when bought in this way?

Did you *choose* to have a pre-payment meter? Could you swap to a credit
meter - it would probably be cheaper?

I'm also wondering how long the OP has been in the house. I have heard
of cases of people with pre-payment meters paying over the odds as the
meter was set to charge a higher amount because the previous user had
got into debt and was paying it off.
--
Chris French