Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

Default How Much Is Your Gas Bill

"NTL News" wrote in message
I recently had a new Worcester condensing boiler fitted to our two
bedroom semi. The previous boiler was a thirty year old thing and
really guzzled gas. I didn't know what sort of savings I would make
with the new boiler but as it turns out I am not saving much at all!
The house has full double glazing and reasonable loft insulation.

If I have the heating set so that it comes on at 8am for an hour and
brings the house to 20.5 degrees and then drops down to 17.5 degrees
during the day and then back up to 20.5 degrees from 5pm until 11pm,
then 16 degrees through the night, it is costing me over £100 a month
at this time of year. Sure it heats up the hot water as well, but it
is only two of us and the hot water is only really used for a couple
of baths a week as the dishwasher heats its only water and so does the
washing machine.

I had no idea that heating a house would be so expensive even with one
of these so called economical boilers. Is £100+ per month about normal
for a house like mine?

Blimey!!!!! We had a new condensing boiler fitted just over a year ago
and found a big difference. We have a terraced, 4 bed, split level
house with double glazing and we are paying £39 per month and that is
for gas and electric combined!!! We get our gas and leckie from
Scottish power.