Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Can leaking hot water lead to high gas bill?

On 23 Jan 2006 17:52:38 -0800, "CPreksta" wrote:

I live in an apartment building. There are three other apartments.
All the windows were just replaced. In the month of DecemberI got a
$300 gas bill. I assumed that the heat was too high (the thermostat
was at 65 degrees) so I turned the heat OFF and resorted to a single
space heater which heats the apartment just fine. My January bill just
came and it was...

$300!

When I asked my neighbors what their bills were, they were all roughly
around $70. My bill alone was more than all three of theirs combined
and the heater wasn't even running.

When I inspected the meter in the basement I found that my hot water
heater was leaking a good bit of water. It's being replaced tomorrow.

My question is: could a leaking hot water heater cause a $300 gas bill?
And if it can is this something I can dispute with the gas company, or
should I with the landlord?

That happened to my Father once. High water bills and high gas bills.

That was in an older house. He was never sure if he owned it or was
renting (lawyer trouble).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com