Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Default Ricoh R-830 Camcorder - Really a Sony?

tbl wrote:
In the early 1990s, I bought this Ricoh R-830 Video Camera
Recorder, and the salesperson said that it was actually made
by Sony, but with a different (and better) lens.
I'd like to tear into this thing and find out why it's not
working, and would feel better if I had a Sony number to
hang on it.
So, anybody able to cross-reference?
--
Thanks,
tbl

Could you give us any more info? What are the symptoms of the camera's
problem? What are the physical characteristics of the camera? Pics?
The thing that comes to mind immediately is fish caps. Sonys of this
era had a problem with fish caps. Does the camera smell like fish oil?
Do you have an ESR meter? Have you worked with SMD caps? Replacement
caps can be had from Mouser on pages 515-518 of their catalog. They are
made by Nichicon. If this is the case it will depend on how long the
problem has been going on. The fluid inside the cap can leak and over
time completely eat through the traces on the circuit board making
repair very difficult. Removing the caps can be difficult so as not to
damage the traces.
Alternately there are fuses on the back of the main power board
(depending on the model) that can blow out. They look like resistors.
Richard