Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default how many use glue blocks

"william kossack" wrote in message
news
I talked to a turner recently that always uses glue blocks when turning.

Thinking about it I'm going to give it a try but I wonder what wood to use
for the blocks and what glue to use?

Basswood or aspen here, when I use 'em. Avoid woods with distinct annual
rings and the tendency to split along them. Not the regular SPF 2x, that's
for sure.

I use regular wood glue if dry, CA if damp. Make yourself a taper fit and
keep the center mark on the opposite side to help with centering and
clamping on the lathe. I won't turn until next day with standard wood glue.
CA, if you spritz one face with the accelerator prior to mating, can be used
after five-ten minutes.

Thing about using glue blocks for bowls is it encourages cutting from
behind, which is awkward when working around the headstock, and can lead to
taking some bad choices/chances with your tool angles.

It's one of the things a chuck does so well and easily that I have found
myself making the glue block so that it can be gripped by the chuck! Easier
to work around the headstock that way, too.