Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
BottleBob

Default OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ?

Cliff wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:37:10 GMT, BottleBob wrote:

It's not my fault that you are unable to support your claim, and seem
to be in a snit over it.

Ah, but you see ...... I know what metals are G.

Cliff:

By all means, let's hear your definition of what metals are, and/or
their properties.

I'm not the one that is having trouble backing up his claim.

I don't need to GGG.

You don't NEED to? You were bragging about knowing what metals are,
but when I challenged you to present some evidence of why you believe
Tungsten carbide is NOT a metal all you've got to say is "I don't need
to GGG"? Either you know, or you don't.

Are you claiming that elemental Tungsten is NOT a metal? Better go
look at a periodic table of the elements if you're in doubt.

What part of "CARBIDE" was unclear?

Do you see the word "CARBIDE" in my sentence above where I said: "I
think we have established beyond a reasonable doubt that Tungsten is a
metal."

But THAT's not at all the subject, now is it?

You were responding to what I wrote. I never mentioned carbide in that
sentence. I suggest you try reading for content, for a change. g

Metallic elements can combine with one another and with certain other
elements, either as compounds, as solutions, or as intimate mixtures. A
substance composed of two or more metals, or a substance composed of a
metal and certain nonmetals such as carbon are called alloys.

IMO, copying from credible sources trumps unsupported conjecture and
WAG's any day.

Knowing the facts is much better than search, copy & paste followed by your
lint going more crazy than usual.

You claimed to know the facts, but when I asked you to support your
position you failed to present any. What do you think that says about
your "claimed" knowledge of the facts?

Rocks are opaque too so I suppose that you think that they are metals too ...

Do all rocks have good electrical and thermal conductivity? NO!
Do all rocks have a crystalline structure? NO!

Umm ... you may want to rethink that G.

Oh? Why? You've never heard of amphorus (non-crystaline), rock?

Do all rocks have a luster when polished? NO!

Umm ... you may want to rethink that G.

Oh? Why? Are you mistaking smoothness for luster?

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob