Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default Let's talk about dovetails

charlie b wrote:
That's a VHS video tape. Very well done by the master of
hand cut dovetails - Frank Klausz. The tape covers a lot
of ground, multiple times and when it's done you're sure
you've "got it" - until you go out to the shop and try it.
That's when "now what am I supposed to do next?" will
happen.

So, after I'd gone through the tape three or four times
with in between attempts at doing what I think I saw,
I started making my own notes to take with me to
the bench. Four or five more viewings of the tape,
refining my notes and I had a usable set of instructions.
Thought they might be useful to others so I put them
up on the web - each page a GIF file you can download
and print at your leisure. Do what you see on each
page and in no time you've got a handcut dovetail
drawer. The dovetails probably won't be perfect
initially but practice will take care of that.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...ilDrawer0.html

Wow, that's nice! Thanks much for writing that up, and for posting the
link. I think I'm going to have to give that a try....

(You do seem to have pages 13 and 14 out of order in the PDF, by the
way. Not a problem, but I was confused for a moment about how you got
the waste out from between the tails.)

- Brooks