Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Luxeon ringlight for microscope

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:22:12 -0500, Mark Jones
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
Nothing anywhere runs even warm, much less hot.

Really? A 1W LED is going to get warm if ran at full power... don't the Luxeons
have integral heatsinks?

The Luxeon Stars do, but they're not quite enough to run barefoot. I
used bare Luxeon emitters epoxied to aluminum slugs about 0.690" dia
that fit in holes in the spheres. I smeared a wee dab of Arctic
heatsink grease on the slugs before putting them in the holes. That
design centers the emitter on the collimator so each sphere is both a
light mount and a collimator mount. Just shove the slug in the back
until it mates up with the collimator. The spheres seems to be
ample heatsinks. They probably transfer some heat to the mounting
ring as well. They feel barely warm in operation, probably about 20F
above ambient.

If the stars were mounted on sheetmetal tabs that are part of the
mounting ring, that could work well also. Bend tab to aim light.
One might then use the molded plastic collimator mounts that Fraen
offers. I thought that would look clunky, but it'd work.