Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default Cutting copper

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve B"
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 7:16 PM
Subject: Cutting copper

I am going to do some decorative work with thin copper sheeting. When you
get into the really thin stuff, like about as thick as matchbook paper, is
there an easy way to accurately cut it? The pieces would be cut at right
angles. I know I can use snips, but that leaves a slight ridge, and I
never can get a really straight cut. On some decorative items, I will just
have to use snips of various sorts until I get the right combination.

Would a heavy duty paper cutter do the deed? Might still leave a small
ridge, but that could be hammered down. Anyone have any experience with
this?

Steve

dave baker's response reminded me of my (desperation) technique. straight
edge and one of those hooked scoring blades in a stanley knife. very light
multiple passes (if you cut too deeply it'll dig in and rip) on a flat
smooth hard surface to back up the cut (i use my table saw table). i've
used this technique for cutting dissected aluminum cans for shims. score it
(as deeply as you dare) and bend it back and forth to divide. i doubt if it
would be possible to make curved cuts. i don't like that ridge either
that's why i use this technique when i'm cutting shims out of REALLY thin
stuff.

b.w.