Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
BruceR

Default Connecting 16th century antenna wire to 21st century coax

Here's a picture of one w/female f connector:
http://store.eenid.us/ph61009.html

From:Art

300 Ohm foam Filled Transmission Line, Matching Balum 300 ohm to 75
Ohm with the appropiate terminals will work just fine with minimual
loss. The Matching Devices can be probably bought at the local Radio
Shack or any Radio TV Supply.
wrote in message
ups.com...
Yet another strange question from yours truly: on the roof of my
house, anchored to the chimney, is a large outdoor antenna. No idea
which antenna - it was installed before my time, probably 15 years
ago (or more) and, for various reasons, I can't climb on the roof to
find out. From that antenna and into the house runs a brown cable
(or is
it wire?) labeled "Belden Celluline 9275 300 ohm UHF transmission"
and a bunch of patent numbers.

For some strange reason (it may have been done by the cable company
when cable was first installed in the house - also before my time),
that Belden cable was cleanly cut mid-way through its run across the
basement. While it doesn't look like any twin-lead cable I've seen
before (and, admittedly, I haven't seen that many), it has a white
core which looks like frozen foam and what appear to be two very thin
metal lines, one on each side of the core.

And the question: I want to find out if that antenna+cable setup
still delivers a signal. I would like to do it by connecting the
Belden cable to a standard RG6 coax and then to a regular or HD
tuner. I understand that this connection would require a gizmo
called a balun but that's as far as my understanding goes. So what
type of balun is it (if there is more than one)? How difficult is it
to find? I imagine I need to strip the Belden cable on one hand and
the RG6 on the other in order to connect them to the balun. Is it
possible and, if so, how is it done?

Thanks.