Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Should Gas Appliances Smell Like Anything?

phaeton wrote:
Lately I've been noticing a specific smell in the house. ...

There are two typical smells from a gas furnace. One is the actual gas.
It does not smell like "burn" but very distinctive. If you are smelling
that or think you may be smelling that, call your gas supplier and they will
check it out for you. They want to keep you safe. I might add that if they
find anything unsafe, they will shut off the gas right then and you will not
get it back on until it is fixed. They have been known to make some simple
repairs on the spot for you for free as well if you are lucky.

Other than that it is usually burnt dust. That means getting the
furnace cleaned and making sure you have a good filter in place to reduce it
in the future. If you don't have a furnace filter, that is why you have the
smell.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit