Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS! -- More info

Q wrote:
Installing that switch is a real bear. An average homeowner would look
in there and say it's impossible, and they'd be almost right.

Q (ex appliance tech)

Hello Q:

There are two parts to the door latch:
1. The Washer Door Catch (Attached to the door). This is easy to
replace by yourself. In my washer, this part is FINE.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=780701

2. The complete door lock /latch kit with all the wires. My GUESS is
that is what my washer needs.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=820920

I have repaired many appliances myself, including a microwave, a bread
machine, clothes dryer, etc. However, in case of the Frigidaire washing
machine, the switch is next to the drum, very inaccessible. I have no
idea how to proeprly replace it. I have not had the courage to tackle
it ... plus, with a toddler, I can't expect my wife to be able to help
if I get stuck.

As an ex-appliance tech, please tell me if the following rate for labor
is fair/reasonable: $45 for the first 15 minutes, and $10 each
additional 15 minutes. Also, how much time you think an average
repairman would take? Got any recommendation in mid-peninsula and/or
east bay of the SF Bay Area (Fremont, Milpitas, Palo Alto, Mountain
View)?

One repairman was supposed to fix my machine last Friday, but on
Thursday, his truck's axle broke So he called to reschedule -- let's
hope it gets fixed this week.

Bhoot Nath.