Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Paul Rasmussen

Default Jet 16" Bandsaw

Thanks for the info
"PCProffitt" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've had the 16" Jet for 16 months now. Just used it yesterday to resaw
some 8" wide river birch boards using a 3/4" special Timberwolf resawing
blade. No problem with power doing that. I've replace the standard blade
guides with roller guides. Adjustment doesn't seem to be a problem with
the roller guides.

The optional fence system seems to work well and I'm glad it came with the
saw in the deal I got. The left hand side rail does get in the way of
changing the blade just a little. Not enough to have to move anything,
but it just requires a little more finesse in a tight space.

The biggest negative on the saw that I've heard is the small trunion size
on the table. There just isn't enough clamping pressure on the locking
mechanism to hold the table in place if you were to lean on it hard. I
have to say this has yet to be a problem for me - even sawing 10" diameter
logs for turning blanks.

Dust collection is probably a weak point in my opinion. The standard 4"
port keeps almost all the dust out of the internals of the cabinet and the
small brushes keep the tires pretty clean, but the lower blade guide
assembly just gets buried in saw dust during normal use because there is
nothing to pull that stuff away from there. And, as luck would have it
you can't easily get a vacuum hose in there unless it is a small hose or a
crevice tool.

I haven't put a lot of hours on this saw, but I am plenty happy with what
I got for the money. It does all I need so far, especially the extra
cutting height over most of the 14" saws.

Paul Proffitt
Suwanee, GA