Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
PCProffitt

Default Jet 16" Bandsaw

I've had the 16" Jet for 16 months now. Just used it yesterday to resaw
some 8" wide river birch boards using a 3/4" special Timberwolf resawing
blade. No problem with power doing that. I've replace the standard
blade guides with roller guides. Adjustment doesn't seem to be a
problem with the roller guides.

The optional fence system seems to work well and I'm glad it came with
the saw in the deal I got. The left hand side rail does get in the way
of changing the blade just a little. Not enough to have to move
anything, but it just requires a little more finesse in a tight space.

The biggest negative on the saw that I've heard is the small trunion
size on the table. There just isn't enough clamping pressure on the
locking mechanism to hold the table in place if you were to lean on it
hard. I have to say this has yet to be a problem for me - even sawing
10" diameter logs for turning blanks.

Dust collection is probably a weak point in my opinion. The standard 4"
port keeps almost all the dust out of the internals of the cabinet and
the small brushes keep the tires pretty clean, but the lower blade guide
assembly just gets buried in saw dust during normal use because there is
nothing to pull that stuff away from there. And, as luck would have it
you can't easily get a vacuum hose in there unless it is a small hose or
a crevice tool.

I haven't put a lot of hours on this saw, but I am plenty happy with
what I got for the money. It does all I need so far, especially the
extra cutting height over most of the 14" saws.

Paul Proffitt
Suwanee, GA