Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Default Let's talk about dovetails

You've got some really good advice here, I'd just like to add my .02 about
Lee Valley's dovetail jig.
I learned to hand cut them with a minimal amount of tools, but decided
to try the jig just to speed the process of hand cutting up a bit. I will
say it works extremely well. Small learning curve, and the cuts fit nicely.
I thought it was well worth the investment and eliminates most of the time
spent laying out the cut lines and fitting the cuts. You basically make a
few marks across the endgrain of both boards, and butt one board into the
other to mark the depth of the cut, clamp on the jig and cut to your depth.
Then the jig is flipped over, put on the endgrain mark again, and cut to
depth. Finally, the waste is chiseled out. I do use a router jig in cases
where I need to produce many drawers, but I reach for the LV jig for just a
couple of drawers, or in cases where I want a particular spacing for the
DT's. Whatever method you choose, plan on spending some time and materials
practicing! --dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Look for "Dovetail a Drawer, with Frank Klausz". I found it at my
local library.

Mike