Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Cutting copper

Steve B wrote:

I am going to do some decorative work with thin copper sheeting. When you
get into the really thin stuff, like about as thick as matchbook paper, is
there an easy way to accurately cut it? The pieces would be cut at right
angles. I know I can use snips, but that leaves a slight ridge, and I never
can get a really straight cut. On some decorative items, I will just have
to use snips of various sorts until I get the right combination.

Would a heavy duty paper cutter do the deed? Might still leave a small
ridge, but that could be hammered down. Anyone have any experience with
this?

Steve

I had opportunity to use one of those cheesy chiwanese made three in
one sheet metal combo tools for a while. The shear actually worked quite
effectively for the light gauge aluminum I was cutting. I would imagine
the press brake would work well enough to make a clean right angle bend
in copper, and the roller portion was functional, if a bit inonvenient
to use (handle positioning). Google search Grizzly G4011 Sheet Metal
Machine to see one example of 30 inch capacity for a bit over $350 US.
If 12 inch capacity will do, the same outfit sells a machine of that
size for about a hundred bucks less. Harbour Freight and others may well
sell same or similar for less money.

Cheers
Trevor Jones