Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default drywall screw spins out

wrote:
RicodJour, I got these studs from HD at different times. I don't know
what gauge they are, but it might be possible that one batch is lighter
gauge than the others. Assuming this particular one is lighter, what
should I do? A different screw maybe?

Maybe, but if it's stripping out with a fine threaded drywall screw
meant for steel studs, I don't know what else would hold better. Are
you using the self-drilling screws or the pointy ones?

I'd probably cut a couple or three holes big enough for me to get my
arm in (saving the pieces) and insert some scraps of plywood/wood
behind the stud flange to give the screw something to bite into, then
attach some plywood scraps to the edges of the holes I cut so the piece
that was cut out could be screwed back in place. Tape & spackle.

It's not really a big deal. A little bit more work but that's what
you've got. Obviously you won't want to hang anything heavy off of
those studs without reinforcing them and/or the drywall.