Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

Default OT, fire safety issue!

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

wrote: ,(clip) every one, without exception, of the
email warnings I have received with serious, unproven concerns that urges
me in BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS to send copies to everyone I know has been
found to be a hoax. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bob, how do I know that THIS is not a hoax? BG
Lyndell, Snopes doesn't say it IS a hoax. They leave the question open.
Bruce, the story about the oily rag on the bench is likely to be untrue.
Or, if it is true, it is certainly not due to spontaneous combustion.
Possibly a cigarette or some welding or grinding sparks could have
contributed.

Spontaneous combustion occurs from slow oxidation, which can cause the
temperature of a mass of fuel (oily rags, wood chips, etc) to rise.
Increasing temperature increases the oxidation rate, causing the process
to accelerate. However, a rag lying in open air probably loses enough
heat so the ignition temperature is never reached. (And certainly not in
the time for a single phone call.)

Leo,
I have read and learned from many of your posts but I think you are on the
edge with this one. A spread out rag is unlikely to start a fire but there
are too many variables and too many documented cases of oily rags starting
fire to take any chances at all with them.
billh